Tuesday, May 17

Steamed Buns and Slow Cooked Pork

























Whenever I'm in a restaurant that has steamed buns I just have to have one....correction! a FEW.
I love the fluffy light and soft texture of the bun. These could basically be filled with anything. Mainly I like mine with some slow cooked meat, spicy sauce and something pickled...And the best thing about these is that they are usually small enough so you can fill your tummy with a few. Sooooo much better than burgers (hmmm...maybe I have to try making these into burger buns sometime).

























I can't believe I never made these at home before. I'm so happy I finally did. Because they are super easy to make! I'm already drooling thinking about the next time I will have friends over to let them try these sinfully delicious soft fluffy clouds filled with lots of goodness.


























The first time I tried them they turned out perfect, but the next time I couldn't remember what changes I had made to the 5 recipes I was combining...so typical of me, I never follow a recipe a 100% and then this happens. I've been ever since trying different versions to find the perfect one. This is the recipe I stuck with so far and they turned out really good...but if you are like me I will still have to try a few more especially using rice flour. I will keep you updated if I find something even better. But trust me, you will still be super happy with these :) My friends loved them as well!


For the Dough (makes 12-15buns)

3 1/2 dl warm water
11g dry yeast
9dl flour (<500g)
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
small splash of milk
40g melted butter

1) Mix the yeast into the warm water until dissolved
2) add the dry ingredients
3) add a small splash of milk and knead the dough
4) knead in the butter. Might take a while but it will all absorb.

5) leave the dough to rest in a bowl covered with cling film for 1-2hrs
6) share the dough into 3-4 balls and flatten using a rolling pin to approximately 3-4mm
7) using a round pastry cutter, cut out equal sized round circles approximately 10cm in diameter
8) brush the edges with a bit of oil and fold into half (like tacos)
9) using the rolling pin flatten a bit in the middle where the dough is folded
10) let rest for a little while while you prepare the steam basket
11) cut a small piece of baking paper and place at the bottom of the basket so the buns won't stick to the bamboo
12) pour water into a pot and let it boil.
13) place the basket on top and place a few buns in the basket so they don't touch each other...they will puff up quite a bit
14) place the lid on and steam for 7 mins

Repeat until all buns are ready!


























The Slow Cooked Pork

Pork ribs or neck 600g (something with a bit of fat that can handle slow cooking well)

The Stock (if the stock doesn't cover all the meat, don't worry just remember to turn it around once in a while)

3 dl water
1 garlic clove
20g ginger
2 coriander roots
2 star anis
1/4 dl sugar
1/2 dl white wine vinegar or wine
2 dl soy sauce
1 dl ketjap manis
3 tbsp oyster sauce

1) bring the stock to boil
2) add the meat
3) let it simmer on low heat or place the pan in the oven on low heat (<100°C)for approximately 4-5hrs until the meat is tender and comes off the bone

Prep the meat the day before, this way you can leave it to cool in the stock and get much more flavour infused into the meat.

Shred the meat and add just a bit of the stock before you serve...but not too much or you'll end up with soggy dripping buns...and a big mess.

























Sriracha Mayo

1 egg yolk
1 tsp white wine or apple vinegar
15g Dijon mustard
1 tsp salt (add to taste)
2 dl rapeseed oil
2-3 tsp sriracha (depending how spicy you like it)

1) add the egg yolk, vinegar, a part of the salt and mustard in a bowl and whisk in the oil pouring it in slowly until you get a thick emulsion
2) add the sriracha or other child sauce
3) add the rest of the salt according to taste

Punchy Pickled Cucumbers

1/2 cucumber
1 part vinegar
1 part water
1 part sugar
pinch of salt

1) peel the cucumber and slice thin with a mandolin
2) pour some vinegar and water on top (approximately 1 dl each)
3) add the sugar and let it rest until dissolved
4) add a pinch of salt
Taste that the acidity of the vinegar is well balanced with the sweetness
5)drain

Putting your fluffy clouds together

Open the bun pockets and add the meat, cucumber and drizzle with mayo. To garnish I had some coriander and mixed leaves.

Instead of cucumbers you could also use picked red onions

Pickled Red Onion

1 red onion (thinly sliced)
1 dl red wine vinegar
1/2 dl sugar





































Oh what a happy BUNny I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment