Friday, April 28

Borsch - Beetroot Soup





I've eaten plenty of Borsch during the last years when visiting Russia. Borsch is also found in a few restaurants in Finland but I never made it myself before.
After dyeing my easter eggs, I was left with a couple of beetroots and some red cabbage. I hate throwing away food, so I always try to think of ways to put everything to use. I immediately thought of making a soup...and suddenly realized that I had all the ingredients for a vegetarian Borsch. The soup was easy to make and really good....Honestly there's probably more ingredients that go into a proper Borsch but this is my version since I was basically just trying to get rid of leftovers. I know a Borsch can be time consuming but this is a quick one for those days when you don't want to spend too much time in the kitchen. If it worked for me, I'm sure you will enjoy it too :)

I used:
2 Beetroots
1/4 Red Cabbage
1 Carrot
1/2 Onion
Water (stock if you have) enough to cover the ingredients
Liquid from Russian salted cucumbers
Smetana (russian sour cream)
Dill



Slice the beets, carrot, onion and cabbage into thin strips.
Sautee the onion a bit in a pot and add the rest of the veggies. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Let simmer until the ingredients are soft. Add the liquid from salted cucumbers to get the salt and vinegar like flavour. Note! many people add vinegar to the soup but it can get a bit too acidic. The liquid from the salted cucumbers is perfect...it doesn't contain vinegar but brings just the right punch to it. I have heard that this is the real way they do it in Russia.
I didn't even ave to add any salt.
Once you're done, add a dollop of smetana or sour cream and a twig of dill.
I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment