Monday, June 19

Salmon poke salad bowl


One of my favourite easy to make dishes definitely has to be the Hawaiian Poke bowls. Poke bowls were originally invented by the fishermen serving their cut-offs from their catch seasoned as a snack. The flavours have heavily been influenced by the Japanese cuisine and therefore is a meal I like to have when craving sushi. You can serve your Poke with Sushi rice but if you want a more fast and light meal then skip the rice :) Honestly cooking the sushi rice is probably the reason I don't make sushi that often and more often stick with sashimi, ceviches....and now my favourite the Poke salad bowls.
You can use any kind of fish that can be served raw and why not even make a seafood or meat version. I've used this version even with roasted chicken which was devine as well. Your imagination is the limit!

It's not that long ago that the first restaurants started serving the Poke bowls here in Helsinki but honestly...I prefer my own :) This way I can season it to my own taste and can have as much of the good stuff as I want.




Here's my Poke bowl :) I love it and so do my friends <3

(serves 2)

300-400g salmon
1/2 lime
1/2 dl soy
1/2 dl sesame oil
2-3 leaves Kale with the hard middle stem removed
1 Avocado
red onion, spring onions or chives
macadamia nuts (3-4)
furikake (a Japanese mix of sesame seeds, shies and seaweed)
sriracha (chili sauce)
shiso leaves
coriander (cilantro)
fresh chili

1) Cut the salmon (or whichever fish you have) into cubes (approximately 2cm) and place them onto a fireproof plate or stone. Using a blow torch grill the surface of the salmon until it gets a bit dark. The torching is optional but I love the flavour of charred fish and it really makes a difference to the dish.



2) Remove the stem from the Kale and tear into smaller mouth size pieces. Add a bit of olive oil to a pan and sautée until the leaves become a bit crispy


3) Mix together soy sauce, sesame oil and lime juice in a small bowl.
The amounts of soy sauce to the sesame oil can vary a bit depending on how salty your soy sauce is. add more soy sauce for more salt or more sesame oil for more of the sesame taste.


4) Add the salmon into the sesame and soy mixture and let marinate while you chop the rest of the items

5) Cut the avocado into cubes and press a bit of lime onto them to prevent them from getting dark


6) Assemble your dish in a bowl. Place the avocado cubes in one third of the bowl, next to it the kale and the fish. Sprinkle with onions, furikake, shiso leaves, coriander and crushed nuts. Finish off with a drizzle of sriracha.




You can even pickle the onions if you like and add other ingredients of your choice. I sometimes use   alphalpha or beansprouts in mine.

I really love the textures and flavours in this dish. Roasty, acidic, salty, crunchy, soft and crispy all at the same time!

Now I became really hungry and wish I wasn't in a cafe writing but was at home on the sofa with a Poke bowl of my own :)



No comments:

Post a Comment