Friday, June 2

Unicorn Donuts





Just looking at pics on Instagram and Pinterest has really made me fall in love with everything which has to do with unicorns, mermaids, bunnies and basically anything a bit childish, naive and kawaii. I found a pic of these beautiful and cute unicorn donuts on the web when I was looking for donut inspiration. Normally I just make the traditional Finnish styled "munkki" which is just a basic deep fried donut (without the hole) dipped in sugar.....but seeing these unicorn donuts I just couldn't resist making them. I was already feeling whimsical and festive and had planned on dressing up as a unicorn so I can't think of a better treat than these to go with my current mood. 



I didn't want to make these with the same recipes that I've tried before 'cause I wanted something a bit more like the donuts you can find in the U.S. and came across a few recipes and just went with the one that popped up first on google. I think they turned out great :)












Ingredients:2 (0.25ounce) envelopes active dry yeast1/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)1 1/2 cups luke warm milk1/2 cup white sugar1 tsp salt2 eggs1/3 cup shortening5 cups all purpose flour1 quart vegetable oil for frying 





My Magical Donut Moment :D

Glaze:150g confectioners sugar1 eggsqueeze of lemon
I also made a white chocolate glaze. I just melted white chocolate and added white food coloring that goes with chocolate. 
Here's how to make them:1)Sprinkle the yeast over the warm water, and let stand for 5 minutes, or until foamy.2)In a large bowl, mix together the yeast mixture, milk, sugar, salt, eggs, shortening, and 2 cups of the flour. Mix for a few minutes at low speed, or stirring with a wooden spoon. Beat in remaining flour 1/2 cup at a time, until the dough no longer sticks to the bowl. Knead for about 5 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. Place the dough into a greased bowl, and cover. Set in a warm place to rise until double. Dough is ready if you touch it, and the indention remains.3)Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and gently roll out to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured doughnut cutter. Let doughnuts sit out to rise again until double. Cover loosely with a cloth.4)Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in hot water one tablespoon at a time until the icing is somewhat thin, but not watery. Set aside.5)Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large heavy skillet to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Slide doughnuts into the hot oil using a wide spatula. Turn doughnuts over as they rise to the surface. Fry doughnuts on each side until golden brown. Remove from hot oil, to drain on a wire rack. Dip doughnuts into the glaze while still hot, and set onto wire racks to drain off excess. Keep a cookie sheet or tray under racks for easier clean up.For the decor:White sugar fondantedible gold dustblack food colourpink food colouringblue food colouring
For the horn:Roll the fondant into one long thin strip and fold in two and twist until you get a spiral cone.Dip into gold dust and shake off the excess dust.Insert half a toothpick so you can add it to your donut
For the ears:Roll out white fondant until thin and cut out small ears. I used a cutter shaped of a drop.
Draw the eyes with the black food colouring.
Add flowers or decorative sprinkles on the head to look like a flower headband or other decor. I made mine using rolled out coloured fondant which I cut out with a mini star shaped cutter.
I also made some donuts without a hole and filled them with vanilla cream (just the ready stuff) that I coloured in all the colours of the rainbow :)


Also to go with the theme...it was only natural that I dressed up as a unicorn myself and made even a rainbow cheesecake for my friend's birthday party :D 


I just can't help it but I just loooove this Unicorn frenzy. I've always had a colourful personality and will never let the inner child of me fade away. Rainbows, magical creatures, unicorn poop and sprinkles just make me too happy :D


1 comment:

  1. Really thought provoking post! Worth it to read things and have enjoyed immeasurably. Thanks a lot
    come essere primo su google

    ReplyDelete