Friday, August 11

Ceviche con leche de tigre


I've been wanting to post this recipe for some time....but for some reason it keeps disappearing and I don't know how many times I've had to write it over again. I had prepared it already a while ago and just needed to make a few improvements....but as soon as I was ready to press "Publish" it was gone. Luckily not all was lost. I still have the pictures and a somewhat half mades squibble of a recipe on a piece of paper.


I think by now you've already realized that I love fish...preferably raw. I can't get enough of Sashimi, Poke bowls, Kinilaw and Ceviches. I  have not yet experienced a ceviche in Peru (which I hope one day I will) but so far the best ceviche I have ever had was in a Nikkei (Japanese-Peruvian) restaurant in Barcelona called Pakta ( you can look at more pics from Pakta in my blog about Barcelona ). The Ceviche was so perfect in many ways filled with different textures. I can still remember scooping the last drop of the tangy liquid from my plate almost ending up licking it :D I wish I could indulge this dish every day. I really loved the crunchiness of the corn they had used. I was so mesmerized by this little kernel and was curious on how they had managed to make the corn so crunchy without it popping into a pooffy cloud. I had to ask the chef why it didn't become popcorn and the answer was simple...the golden kernels just pop on the inside and become crunchy on the outside looking just like roasted peanuts. I just had to get this kind of corn from the market but to my surprise...a perfect lunch came with a perfect ending when the chef gave me a bag of corn to take with me. You have no idea how delighted I was :) I was soooooo happy and grateful and promise to use my corn with pride.
As soon as I got home....You guessed it! I was already testing the corn and making this superb bowl of ceviche inspired by the one I had in Pakta.
Even if its not the same I still really enjoyed it and hope you do too!



You will need:
(This will be perfect for a starter for 4 or as a main for 2)
300g of fresh salmon
1 avocado
Mango
corn (preferably the one I used but normal popcorn will do fine as long as you don't make them soggy in the liquid)
Cilantro
alphalpha or micro herbs for decoration

Leche de Tigre:

1/4- 1/2 chili depending on how hot they are
1/2 small red onion
1 tbsp cilantro packed in a spoon
1 1/2 lime (3/4dl)
1 orange to soften the acidity
sugar and salt

You could also use clam juice to soften the flavours

1) Prepare the Leche de Tigre (Tigers milk) by placing all the ingredients for the marinade in a blender and draining it until clear.
2) Dice the Salmon or fish of your choice into 1/2 inch cubes
3) Dice the avocado and roast the surface with a blow torch
4) Dice the mango ( you could even use some mango in the Tigers milk for natural sweetness)
5) Roast the corn in oil  just like when you make popcorn
6) Marinate the fish for a few minutes

7) take a bowl and place the salmon cubes on the plate along with cubes of avocado and mango.
8) Pour some of the marinade on top
9) Sprinkle on some roasted corn
10) decorate with alphalpha, cilantro or other herbs


I hope you enjoy and want to lick the bottom of the plate :)


If you end up having leftover Tigers milk...just pop it in the freezer and use it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment