Monday, August 21

Västerbotten Pie and Crayfish parties


Västerbotten pie is a Swedish cheese pie that is a classic combo when you eat Crayfish. The pie is full of delicious Västerbotten cheese, a cheese which has the structure of Cheddar but tastes a bit of Parmesan. It's just so good.
There's nothing I love more than crayfish parties in the whole wide world....except maybe a party filled with puppies to cuddle :)

Anyways back to the crayfish and pie...


Every summer I organise a crayfish party for my friends which is just the best party ever. It's a party where you feast on these deliciously salty fresh water crayfish freshly cooked, sing drinking songs  and drink schnapps :)
This year I've only eaten crayfish twice but luckily the season hasn't ended yet :) I can also make this cheese pie all year round if I feel like it...yeyyy!
Finnish crayfish can only be caught at a certain time of the year. The season started on the 21.7 and ends in the end of October. Crayfish are definitely my favourite delicacy and the only downside is the price. I you're lucky though, you'll have a friend who catches them for free....unfortunately I don't, not yet atleast.
Before we start feasting on crayfish and drinking ridiculous amounts of schnapps or Akvavit we have to fill up our stomachs with a bit of something so that we can handle all the drinking. A real classical duo for the crayfish is definitely Västerbotten pie and seems it's the only thing all my friends agree on that they love, so now this has become a tradition that I will make every year.
Who doesn't love a good pie especially if it's full of yummy cheese.




You will need:

-Savoury pie crust...most of the time I end up buying the ready bought stuff
-250g Västerbotten cheese (grated)
-3 eggs
-2 dl cream
-1-2 tbsp of intense meat stock/fond this however is optional but I like to add some to mine sometimes
-1 tbsp of tomato puree (this adds a bit of colour to the filling)
- black pepper
- a bit of salt according to taste Note! the cheese is already quite salty

Cover the pie form with the crust. Add the grated cheese. Break the eggs with a fork and add the cream and other ingredients. Pour into the pie form over the cheese and bake in the oven at 200° C for about 30-40 minutes until golden brown.

Serve it with Skagen (a Swedish prawn cocktail)
Here's my recipe!
300g shrimps
2-3g lemon zest
15g dill
100-150g salmon roe
30g red onion
1dl smetana (a russian thick sour cream)
1dl sour cream (creme fraiche or kermaviili)
1dl mayonnaise ( preferably homemade otherwise I would most likely add dijon and put less mayo)
lemon juice
salt

For the mayonnaise (this will make more than you need for the skagen so if you don't need it for anything else make less):
2 egg yolks
45g dijon
5g salt
8dl oil ( I used rapeseed)
juice from 1/2 lemon (or vinegar)


Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment