Wednesday, February 28

Blood Orange Risotto


A year ago I tasted blood orange risotto, in one of my favourite restaurants Bas Bas, for the first time in my life. I've had the privilege to have it a couple of times since. I can still remember my first encounter as if it were yesterday. At first taste, it was just weird. I couldn't quite decide if I loved it or disliked it. I mean in No way did it taste bad. It was just that my tastebuds were not used to a orange risotto and my sense of smell was taking my path towards a sweet dish. It was like eating a savoury rice pudding. After the first mouthful I just had to go back for more and see how the taste would grow on me. I've had lemon risotto which I love so why was this any different than that? After my second mouthful I was already hooked and  I'm sure you will be too.




As soon as the blood orange season started this year I thought of exactly that risotto that I had eaten a year ago for the first time. I could still remember how I sat at the bar and enjoyed every single mouthful. The taste just lingered to my taste buds and made me want more. 
 I just had to try making some at home and it turned out great. I just Love it. 
A spoonful of my risotto and I was back at that bar counter. I could hear the sound of people chatting and laughing, Angus and Julia Stone playing in the background and the owner in his signature hat (which he always wears) smiling and asking "Isn't it just amazing?" Yes, amazing and weird at the same time?
I enjoyed every mouthful and didn't want it to end.
 Luckily for me I now had a whole potful of this creamy taste of heaven. I closed my eyes once again and smiled with every taste as Angus and Julia Stone's Big Jet Plane was now playing in my background... 


Bloodorange risotto

40g shallots
Olive oil 
Butter
300g risotto rice Vialone nano (you can also use arborio or carnaroli)
300ml blood orange juice (3 oranges)
zest from 1-2 oranges
900ml vegetable stock
Thyme
60g parmesan
Mascarpone
Salt

Wash the skin of 1-2 oranges and zest with a microplane or other zester. 
Squeeze the juice from all the oranges.
Finely chop the shallots.
In a saucepan/pot heat the butter and oil on low heat. Add the  shallots and fry until soft and translucent.
Add the rice and fry whilst stirring for a minute or two until translucent.
Add part of the orange juice and cook until absorbed. Throw in a small bunch of thyme (I tied mine together so it was easy to remove after cooking).
Add the hot stock one ladle at a time and let it absorb the liquid slowly on low heat. Make sure you don't pour all the stock at once. It is important to let the liquid absorb before adding more liquid. Add the rest of the orange juice. Cook for approximately 15 mins or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is al dente (soft but with a bit of a bite to it). If the rice isn't cooked enough add more liquid. Season with salt.
Take off the heat, remove the thyme and add a bit of butter, zest, grated parmesan and a couple spoonfuls of mascarpone. Stir and let sit under a lid for 2 minutes. The risotto should now be oozy and creamy like you can see in better restaurants and not like the tough and sticky risottos we unfortunately see in too many restaurants. It should be a bit runny and not stay in a pile. By the time I took my photos it had already become a bit more dense so please make sure it looks more runny when you are done with yours for maximum pleasure.

For garnish add a bit of extra zest and a few thyme leaves. You can even grate a bit of extra parmesan and orange slices.






No comments:

Post a Comment