Monday, March 5

Hot Chocolate on Cold Frosty Days


Lately the weather has been amazing. It has really been a proper winter the way I like it. The temperatures dropped to -20°C (feeling like -28°C with the wind) but the sky has been a clear vibrant blue and the sun has been shining. In weathers like this I love to take long walks on the ice and admire the nature's beauty. Everything has frozen and it's just truly magical. Ice crystals are just among some of the most beautiful things I know and they were everywhere.  Even waterfalls were frozen, forming such beautiful ice sculptures.





I know you must be thinking who is crazy to go out at temperatures like this, and many of my friends would prefer to stay indoors, but if you dress up properly and pack a thermos with hot cocoa to have a picnic on the sea it's just a pleasure.




I was not the only one in this crisp weather. There were a lot of people of all ages enjoying walks, making snow men, skiing or even ice fishing. Nobody looked like they were suffering despite the Siberian temperatures instead everybody looked healthy and fresh with their red blushed cheeks.

Enjoy your cold days with this warming Hot Chocolate









You will need:
1 l milk ( a bit more than 4 cups)
1 dl cream  (1/2 c)(optional but as I was left with this one dl I decided to use it as well)
1 can of condensed milk (397g)
4 tbsp of unsweetened chocolate powder (I used Van Houten brand)
2 pinches of flake salt
1 vanilla pod

For garnish
1 dl cream whipped
sugar
1 tsp cardamom seeds
marshmallows

Pour the milk, cream and condensed milk in a saucepan. Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape all the seeds into the milk mixture including the pod. Add part of the salt. Bring the milk mixture to a boil. In a separate bowl measure the cocoa powder. Slowly add just a little bit of the liquid and mix well until you have a smooth paste. Add a bit more of the liquid and stir well to avoid any lumps.  Strain the milk to get rid of the vanilla pods. Add the rest of the milk to the cocoa paste.. Taste until it is to your liking. Add the rest of the salt if you wish. I like my chocolate to have a bit of saltiness to it to bring out the flavour of the chocolate. I also do not like my cocoa to be too sweet so I didn't add any extra sugar as the condensed milk is already very sweet.

Whip the whipping cream  and sugar until soft peaks form. Add the amount of sugar to your own liking. Ad the cardamom seeds. You could even use grated cinnamon or more vanilla in the cream if you like.





TIP: I always save my vanilla pods for later use. Rinse them well under water and let them dry. Once dried, place them into a glass jar and cover with granulated sugar. This way you will get a really good vanilla sugar for later use.







SaveSave

2 comments:

  1. No doubt you will keep warm with your hot chocolate at any temperature. My favourite chocolate powder is Green&Black, organic and fair trade. In my variant I dissolve 2-3 pieces of dark chocolate in the milk but so far I have never used condensed milk (which I have to try!). Moreover, one hazelnut grated into fine powder is a lovely addition as well as a touch of hot chili powder if you are in good company. – Winter joys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Hot chocolate Sounds very good too. I tend to vary a lot When making mine. I also sometimes put chocolate into mine or hazlenut or even nutella. I also use cinnamon sticks quite a lot. Chili is a perfect combo to chocolate especially on cold days to give that extra heat kick.
    This was actually the first time I had ever tried to use condensed milk. I decided to try it because I just happened to have some at home. It Really adds some richness as its a bit thick like melted chocolate. However this is not a Hot Cocoa for everyday....I think too many calories :)
    I will definately try the powder you recommend :)
    Stay warm and enjoy the Beautiful Winter!

    ReplyDelete