Friday, April 29

Lemongrass-Coconut Pannacotta with a Refreshing Fruit Salsa

I didn't use to make a lot of desserts before...but now I've decided not to just buy something readymade in the store. Besides, this way I can make the perfect ending to my dinner parties with the same theme.


So, we have just finished eating a refreshing Vietnamese dinner of Phô, Bò lá lôt and rice paper rolls filled with pineapple and lots of different herbs. To stay with the theme I prepared lemongrass- coconut pannacotta with a refreshing fruit salsa of pineapple, passionfruit and mango. I also had a green sponge...but this was mainly me being experimental (I don't feel this added anything other than color to my dish). I was flipping through a few recipes and fell in love with the playful look of a really vibrant sponge cake...however I quickly realised I didn't have a siphon nor a microwave which was needed to make this cake super fluffy just like one of those wash sponges. I didn't give up and contacted a really good chef who I know makes great desserts. He told me to make a regular sponge but replace the wheat flour with gluten free flour (this will make it more airy). What did I have to loose...nothing. Next time however I will make sure to add some more flavour to it.

The Lemongrass-Coconut Pannacotta

2 gelatine sheets
2dl coconut milk
1 dl cream
2-3 stalks lemongrass
1 dl sugar (I will try to put a bit less sugar next time because it ended up being quite on the sweet side)

1) Soak the gelatine in cold water
2) Beat the lemongrass stalks to release more flavour
3) Heat up the cream, coconut milk, sugar and Lemongrass until the flavour of the lemongrass is strong and the sugar has dissolved
4) squeeze excess water from the gelatine sheets and mix into the hot liquid, mixing until even,
5) strain and cool down a bit, mixing once in a while
6) for into molds of your choice (I used silicone holds meant for making cake pops because I like the small size)
7) Put into the freezer to set (you can also put them into the fridge to set but I find it easier to take them out of the moods when frozen)

You can make the pannacotta days before which saves you the time on the day of your dinner party.

Green Sponge

2 eggs
1.5 dl (90g) powdered sugar (maybe you just call it icing sugar)
100g almond flour
2 egg whites
2 tbsp caster sugar
0.5dl glutenfree flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp melted butter

1) whisk the eggs, powdered sugar and almond powder until airy and light ( I left out the almond flour this time cause I didn't have any)
2) in another bowl whisk the sugar and egg whites to a foam
3) combine the two folding them to keep the air in.
4) strain in the gluten free flour
5) add also the melted butter and mix until even
6) mix in some food colouring of your choice. I put in a drop of green.
7) for the mixture into a cakemold about 3-4 cm high (I might try to bake it in a smaller told next time to make the cake thicker)
8) bake in the oven 200° C until it doesn't stick to a toothpick....if the cake is becoming too brown reduce the heat and bake longer. You don't to loose the vibrant colour.




Tropical Fruit Salsa


1 Slice of pineapple (approx 2cm thick)
1/2 mango
1 passion fruit
1/2 lime
1 stalk lemongrass
mint leaves
sugar if needed

1) Dice the fruits into small equal side cubes
2) add lime zest and juice
3) chop the lemongrass finely
4) slice the mint finely just to add a bit of colour and hint of flavour
5) add sugar if needed

I like the salsa to be refreshing and not too sweet to accompany the other sweet components.






No comments:

Post a Comment