Saturday, April 30

SUGARCOATED MUNKKI (Donuts)

In Finland everybody's going crazy right now and partying :) not me though. I'm abroad in a beautiful place called Antibes. However, I prepared for the Vappu (Labour day) celebrations a bit beforehand. I've already eaten my share of donuts or Munkki like we call them. Munkki is a bit different to the American donuts and if I'm really honest I prefer these sugarcoated greasy balls of fluffy sweet dough.































We eat these all around the year but I mainly just make them on this day. You can make them into a donut shape, a round ball or a big ball filled with jam or nutella if you like.































Here's how it's done

(Will make up to 30 donuts depending on size, I think I even got 40 since I made them quite small)

This is me a year ago on Vappu making donuts dressed as a fluffy bunny







































You will need:

1 l Vegetable oil for deep frying (I used rapeseed)


DOUGH
(Will make up to 30 donuts depending on size, I think I even got 40 since I made them quite small)

5dl milk (42°C)
50g fresh yeast (or substitute with dry yeast in Finland 50g fresh yeast resembles 2 bags of dry yeast)
1 dl granulated sugar
1 dl brown sugar/Fariinisokeri (optional...you can also just use granulated sugar...2 dl in total)
2 tsp cardamom (but if you really love the taste add double like I do)
2tsp salt
1 egg
150g melted butter (add in the end)
15 dl all purpose flour

1) warm up your milk to 42°C
2) mix in the yeast
3) add sugar and spices
4) add the egg
5) add half the flour and knead
6) add the rest of the flour
7) and finally add the butter a little at a time

You will have to knead the dough quite a lot to get all the butter in. It might seem impossible at first but it will mix in.

























8) let the dough rest for atleast half an hour until it has doubled in size. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or cling film not to let the dough dry too much.

9) when the dough has rested shape the dough into small balls to the size you like. To make donut shapes make a ball and put your finger through the middle and twirl like it was a hula hoop around your finger. Remember to make the hole big enough because the dough will expand and puff up when frying.

10) heat up the oil to 170°C
11) fry the donuts or Munkkis in the oil for a few minutes and turn in between to get them evenly golden on both sides
12) remove from the oil and put on a paper towel to get rid of the excess fat.
13)put some granulated sugar in a bag and throw a few donuts around to get them evenly sugarcoated.

Try also to add some cinnamon to the sugar mix.

The same dough can be made into cinnamon buns or any flavoured buns of your choice if you bake them in the oven on 225°C







Why not make some cute Mousey Donuts as well :)
I got inspired by a pic of Pusheen donuts that I saw in the Fork to Belly blog and had to make my own Mousey version. I will write more about them later. The reason I think the mice are suitable for me is that my mum always calls me Mira Muruhiiri which in English is Mira Crumble mouse (basically meaning sweetie). My friends just call me the mouse (Hiiri) nowadays.

Aren't these just too cute?

























AAH! What a better day to make these to celebrate also my name day...I almost forgot!!! Today the reason everyone is celebrating is not only because it's Vappu but it's Mira day as well :)


I Hope you enjoy! Now I'm not going to write anymore because I need to go out and explore the beautiful old town Antibes in the French Riviera! Au Revoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment