Monday, February 27

Fat Tuesday Cake (Fastlagskaka)



Tomorrow it's Fat Tuesday, the day everyone is filling their tummies with these yummy buns called the Fastlagsbulle (semla, laskiaispulla...). As usual I've already had a few and played around with the traditional version.

The traditional bun from last years post


 I just realised my Blog has just turned 1years (on the 9th of Feb) so Happy Belated Birthday to my dear Tales of a social eater blog :) YEEEY!!!
 I almost missed this but luckily these yummy buns were here to remind me, however, this year Fat Tuesday came later than last year. My first ever post was all about these sinfully delicious buns but this year I decided to try a different version. This version is great for a bigger group of people and also if you want you can cheat on the bun itself and get a ready made loaf like I did this time.


All you need is:
A bun loaf (I used Oululainen's Pullava) unless you want to make your own.
Almonds
Sugar
Milk
Cardamon
Vanilla paste
Pistachios



Slice the bun loaf horizontally to create layers for the cake.
Make the almond paste and spread onto each layer.
Whip the cream and add to each layer.
Top with some crushed almonds and pistachios.
I even sprinkled on some matcha powder.

Ready to be served. It's so easy and definitely a fun twist on the original bun. It's less messy to eat and everyone can take a slice the size they like.

Why not surprise everyone at the office with this delight :)

The Paste
150 g almond flour (or blanched almonds) 
150 g granulated sugar
approx. 4-5 tbsp milk or water
a drop of vanilla extract
cardamom seeds if you want to add extra cardamom flavour like I did.

Just mix the ingredients together in a mixer to make a smooth paste to your desired consistency. If you like a bit of crunch you can roast some almonds and chop them into the mixture.  In most shops (atleast here in Finland) you can find ready made almond paste....but even then I like to make it softer with milk...so I feel it's better to use almonds or almond flour.

If you want to make the traditional buns you can find the recipe here Fastlagsbulle



1 comment: