Friday, February 24

Superfood Salad


This is probably one of my all time favourite salads on a day when you really want to feel healthy. I've had this many years ago abroad and after that decided to try it at home. You can add and deduct some ingredients according to your liking but this is my version of Superfood Salad. I just love how colourful and pretty it is...not to forget how tasty it is. You could add dressing if you like but I prefer mine with just a squeeze of lime...this way you also don't take away any health and diet benefits from this. I eat this quite often and suggest you try it too.








Spinach 50g
Quinoa 1dl or 160g
Beetroot 100-150g
Butternut 100-150g
Pomegranate 50g
Soy Beans 50g
Green Peas 50g
Sunflower Seeds 20g
Sesame Seeds 1 tbsp
Pumpkin Seeds 20g
Alphalpha 20 g
Chili 1/2
Coriander 15g
Lime 1/2
Sometimes I also add in some other ingredients like: mint leaves (5-10g) and red onion or even half an avocado (this makes it more filling).

The only things that need cooking are the butternut, beetroot and quinoa. I used black quinoa and just cook it according to the instructions on the package.
The butternut you buy will most probably weigh more than needed for this salad but I always dice the whole butternut and roast it in the oven or sometimes I've even boiled it this way it's more vibrant but the taste is more bland. The rest can be used for roasted butternut in your breakfast yoghurt like in my recipe Roasted Butternut with Yoghurt and Dukkah or you can use it as a puree or for soups or just as a side dish for fish or meat.
The beetroots take a while to cook....so on days you don't have time I know you can buy ready cooked ones in Finland (but not the ones pickled in a glass jar...they taste different).
During the winter season I just use frozen peas and soy beans but when peas are in season make sure to use those.

To keep the salad colourful I recommend that you don't toss everything in
with the beetroot or everything will turn a bit pink. I just layer and sprinkle everything on top of the spinach.


                                   You have to admit, This really does look pretty and tempting!
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment