Saturday, May 27

Artichokes with Goats cheese and Parma ham



I couldn't resist buying these beautiful flowers of the veggie section...arthichokes. I have eaten plenty of artichokes but never have I prepared them myself. Usually the parts at the top that look like the flower are a bit woody and are just partially eaten by dipping them in clarified butter and pulling of the soft part with your teeth. The best part is the heart which is hidden inside these "petals". I haven't cooked much with fresh artichokes so I was expecting there to be some fluff and pointy bits once I removed the petals off...but I guess these ones were still so young that there was no fluff. Also they weren't that prickly. The artichoke was so beautiful inside with it's pinkish petals looking like rose petals that I kept them not to waste anything.





How to prepare:

Add water to a pot and add the juice from one lemon and plenty of salt. Remove the petals that are on the outer part of the flower and cut off the top making it easier to access. Boil in the water until the artichoke seems a bit softer. I never looked at the time, but I think I boiled mine for half an hour.
Remove the artichokes and cut in half, revealing the beautiful inside. If your inner petals are very pointy and sharp then trim them off. If they seem soft then just leave them on. The outer petals may be a bit tough to eat as whole but you can easily just pull them between your teeth.

I cut my artichokes into four. I placed a few slices of parma ham and sprinkled with some goats cheese. I also added the zest from one lemon.





No comments:

Post a Comment