Tuesday, October 17

Blueberry pie


Blueberry pie is probably one of my favourite pies. The Forests of Finland are filled with these blue superfood berries that anyone can go out and pick thanks to the liberal laws known as Everyman's right. I never thought of these as superfood but I guess that's what they are classified as nowadays :) and I don't mind. It just makes the pleasure of eating pie sound more healthy :D
Abroad I always wondered why the blueberries were so different...i guess these vitamin packed pearls that dye your hands and lips purple are known more as bilberries elsewhere but to me it's the blueberry as I know it.
Most people in Finland pick these berries fresh from the small bushes and either use them fresh during the summer or fill up the freezer to survive the cold winters.


 Here is my favourite way to eat them....and that's just as a simple rustic crumble pie.





For the crumble crust:
170g room tempered butter (I used salted butter)
60g oats
190g all purpose flour
85g granulated sugar


Filling:
400g blueberries or berries of your choice
sprinkle with a bit of sugar and if you have some leftover crumble you can add some more on top.

Pinch together the butter, oats, flour and sugar until its a bit crumbly. I always make mine with some extra butter so when you pinch it properly it will feel more like a cookie dough. Spread the dough into a pie form pressing with your fingers to get is somewhat even but don't worry, this pie is not attending a beauty pageant.





Bake in the oven 200-220°C for about 30-40 mins until the crust has become a bit golden.
Let it cool down and serve with Vanilla sauce.




No comments:

Post a Comment