Tuesday, January 10

Spicy Beef and Persimon salad


It's a bitters sweet symphony....That's what this salad is all about!
First the bitterness from wandering around the food court all helpless to then being rewarded with a salad full of goodness from the toasty flavour of crunchy roasted nuts, sweetness of the ripe persimmons, the acidity of fresh lime, saltiness of Fish sauce to the heat of the hot chilies.


I had some persimmons at home waiting to ripen up a bit. And since I was asked for salad for dinner I wanted to use them.
I always make my persimmons with either soft goatscheese or feta, some nuts, maybe pomegranate and mint....but I didn't feel that would fill up my tummy enough so I needed some protein too.

I hate going grocery shopping on an empty stomach, when you just stand there and stare at ingredients without getting any inspiration. Now luckily I already knew I wanted to use the persimmon at home. I wandered around for quite a bit and took an avocado and chili. Then I went over to get some cashews and cilantro and spinach...I still  had no idea of what I was going to make. I looked at the kale...but ended up putting it back on the shelf. I then decided to maybe use shrimps or chicken as the protein.
I felt so stupid just wandering around for ages just placing stuff into my basket and moments after placing them back on the shelf.
 I then opened up our helpful friend Google and punched in "Thai persimmon" for inspiration, since my ingredients already were screaming Thailand and so was my body (cause we just got lots of snow ....and already I was missing the summer heat....so who could blame me) I ended up finding a title of spicy beef and persimmon salad and didn't need to look further. The salad didn't quite have the same ingredients that I wanted but it was inspiration enough so I headed straight to the meat counter.
I picked up some really tender marbled beef and thats how i ended up making this Spicy Beef and Persimmon salad :)






You will need:

cashew nuts
chili 1/2
lime 1
avocado 1
Persimmon 1-2
red onion
ginger 15g

coriander seeds
pepper
salt
marbled beef 165g

fish sauce 1tbsp
sugar 1tsp
cilantro
thai basil
spinach
cashew nuts



1) toast the cashews in the oven to get them evenly roasted
2)Slice the ginger and chili into thin strips
3)Dice the avocado and the persimmon
4)slice the onion
5) use some of the lime zest
6) crush the coriander seeds in a pestle and mortar and rub onto the meat and season with salt
7)heat up a frying pan and fry the meat so that you seal it making it nice and crisp...but leave it pink inside
8)mix lime juice, fish sauce, sugar, and pepper in a bowl and balance off the flavours
9)add the cilantro, basil and spinach to the ginger, onion, chili and avocado and mix. add the sauce 10)slice the meat into thin strips and add to the salad and toss in some cashews


                                                                           Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment