Wednesday, August 24

Wild Salad with Bluecheese and Walnuts




In spring and summer the wildlife is full of edible greens. It's become a trend in a lot of high-end restaurants to forage your own ingredients, which I think is great. I'm quite new to this, but have been trying to get to know my surroundings little by little. The most important thing when foraging though is that you are sure about what you are picking so you don't end up eating something poisonous. Also make sure you have the right to pick them...atleast mine were picked on my own property.

For the Salad you will need a mix of wild edible leaves and flowers
Roquefort blue cheese
Walnuts
Honey




 I really love how the bitter taste of some of these leaves disappears when you add roquefort and honey. The flavours go so well together just like the marriage of roquefort and endives.
It's amazing what flavours you can find in the wild...some are bitter, some sour or acidic like the crisp taste of green apples and some again really herblike or sweet.
Impatiens glandulifera 

Fireweed

wild pansy

Hylotelephium telephium or orpine

red clover

common yarrow

Broadleaf plantain

Dandelion leaf

sheep sorrel
The leaves I used for my salad:
Clover
Broadleaf plantain
Dandelion leaves
Common yarrow
Hylotelephium telefhium or orpine
Impatiens glandulifera (Note! this plant is slightly toxic, however the flowers and seeds are edible, however I only eat this once in awhile)
Fireweed
Sheep sorrel
and last but not least...
Wild pansy, also known as viola tricolor, Johnny jump up, heart's ease, heart's delight, Jack jump up and and kiss me, come and cuddle me etc. We have a saying that the ones we love have many names...I's say we love the pansies <3



Make sure the leaves are clean.
Sprinkle with Blue cheese, walnuts and drizzle with honey.
Enjoy the taste of Nature :)



No comments:

Post a Comment